Putting the spotlight on the entry-level no-fee card, the Brim Mastercard has a rewards system that gets you 1 point per $1 spent everywhere. Plus, you can earn bonus points at certain retailers, like up to 4x the points at Microsoft and Nike. Points can be redeemed for statement credits against any purchase made with your card in increments of 100 points for $1, meaning that this Mastercard effectively works like a cash back card. You manage your rewards through the Brim mobile app, and the credit card can also be added to any mobile wallet.
|BRIM Mastercard||BRIM World||BRIM World Elite|
|$0 annual fee||$99 annual fee||$200 annual fee|
|1 point per $1||1.5 point per $1 (up to $25,000 in annual purchases; 1 point per $1 spent thereafter)||2 point per $1 (up to $25,000 in annual purchases; 1 point per $1 spent thereafter)|
|No FX Fees||No FX Fees||No FX Fees|
|No specific income required||$60,000 income required||$100,000 income required|
- Bonus rewards: earn bonus points at over 200 retail partners, including 10% back at Lululemon, 4% at Microsoft, 4% at Nike and others
- Additional benefits: Free Boingo membership with global wi-fi access in airports, lounges, etc.; LoungeKey for for the World and World Elite; common carrier accident insurance; mobile device insurance; extended warranty and purchase protection
- Income requirement: None specified for Brim Mastercard; $60,00 (personal) or $100, 000 (household) for Brim World; $80,000 (personal) or $100, 000 (household) for Brim World Elite
Best Mastercard for groceries
If you buy your groceries at Loblaws-affiliated stores (including real Canadian Superstore, No Frills and Fortinos), you should definitely be paying for them with your PC Financial World Elite Mastercard. This card, which carries no annual fee, allows you to rack up substantial points in the ever-popular PC Optimum program at an attractive earn rate of 30 points per $1 at Loblaws stores, PC Travel and Esso, 45 points per $1 at Shoppers Drug Mart and 10 points per $1 everywhere else. Points can be redeemed in denominations of 10,000 points for $10 off groceries, drug store items, or anything else available where PC products are sold. Worthy to note: There is a new $15,000 minimum annual spending requirement.
- Annual fee: $0
- Welcome bonus: None
- Earn rate: 30 points per $1 at Loblaws stores, PC Travel and Esso; 45 points per $1 at Shoppers Drug Mart; 10 points per $1 everywhere else
- Additional benefits: Travel emergency medical insurance; car rental collision or damage; purchase protection and extended warranty
- Income requirement: $80,000, as well as a 15,000 annual spending minimum
Best travel credit card
If you’re an avid traveller but prefer not to participate in the Air Miles program, the BMO World Elite card may be right for you. Instead of collecting Air Miles, cardholders earn BMO Rewards points—at a very competitive rate of three points for every $1 spent on dining, entertainment and meal purchases. BMO Rewards are redeemable for travel and merchandise rewards, and you’ll reach your goals faster with the current sign-up offer of 40,000 points. Since the card is geared towards travellers, it also includes a robust insurance package and complimentary access to airport lounge access.
- Annual fee: $150 (waived in the first year)
- Welcome bonus: Earn up to 30,000 points when you spend $3,000 in the first 3 months, plus another 10,000 points on your first anniversary (worth $200 when you pay with points)
- Earn rate: 3 points per $1 spent on dining, meals and entertainment, and 2 points per $1 on everything else
- Additional benefits: Mastercard Airport Experiences membership, plus 4 annual complimentary lounge passes; BMO World Elite Total Travel and Medical Protection insurance; extended warranty; purchase protection
- Income requirement: $80,000
Best no fee travel card
Travellers love flexibility—and with the MBNA Rewards Platinum Plus Mastercard, you can choose how you earn your rewards, whether it be travel, cash back, merchandise or charitable donations. With numerous opportunities to collect bonus points on top of the two points for every $1 spent on gas, groceries and at restaurants, and one point per $1 on everything else, you’ll rack up the rewards in no time. And, you don’t need to rush to redeem; your MBNA points never expire.
- Annual fee: $0
- Earn rate: 2 points for every $1 spent on gas, groceries, and restaurants, and 1 point per $1 on everything else
- Welcome bonus: Up to 30,000 MBNA Rewards points (20,000 when you spend $2,000 in the first 3 months and another 10,000 when you sign up for paperless statements)
- Additional benefits: Emergency services; purchase protection; extended warranty
- Income requirement: None